Dear Readers in Christ, "Draw near to GOD, and He will draw near to you" (James 4:8).

Saturday 14 December 2013

Dec 14 - MY GOD!

 “He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust” (Psa 91:2).

Though Saul was chosen by God to be the first king of Israel, we don’t read of him ever referring to the Lord as “my God”; but we see David saying “my God” many times. Paul says, “My God shall supply all your needs.”

How does God become “my God” or a personal God? By receiving the Holy Spirit, by taking water baptism or by doing the will of God you cannot make God your God. For God to become “my God” I must delight to do the God’s will. “I delight to do Thy will, O my God” (Psa 40:8). You may do the will of God, but you may not be doing it joyfully.  When you delight to do the will of God with joy, the omnipotent, omnipresent God becomes your own personal God.

Knowing God and knowing about God are two different things. By reading the word of God, by listening to messages, etc. we come to know God. But we know God personally only when we live with God. For that we must delight to do the will of God. “Thy law is within my heart” (Psa 40:8). Unless we delight to do the will of God, we will not know our God with our heart, but only with our head.

When we take delight in doing the will of God, God will start delighting in us. All our songs, prayers and praises will be a delight to Him. When we don’t delight in the will of God, even if our songs are melodious they will only be the ‘noise of thy songs’ to the Lord (Amos 5:23).

“My Refuge and my Fortress: my God.” Daniel delighted to do God’s will, and God became his strong refuge. He was not afraid of the lions. He says, “my God hath sent His angel.” If we don’t delight in doing the will of God we will have only a false refuge. “The hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies” (Isa 28:17). If we do not do the will of God with joy and delight, one day we will realize that God is not our refuge, that all our refuges were only refuges of lies.

– Taken from Morning Manna – Thoughts for Daily Devotion

No comments:

Post a Comment